Thanks for checking out Witty Girl in the City. Here’s all you need to know about me…
1) I love music. This love has led to a million amazing things in my life from my career to my friends to my discovery of love for choral singing to, well, basically to just about everything. I suppose I should add to this to say, I have been told I do not have the best taste in music, per se, but I do not let that stop me from making people listen to showtunes and Taylor Swift wherever we go.
2) I’m a
newbie runner. I finished the Couch to 5k program in the spring of 2010, and since then have gotten lost during my first 5k race, ran a 5k on the West Side Highway, done a few 4-mile races in Central Park, and even managed to run a full 10k in March of 2011. Please see about re: love of music. My iPod is the only thing that keeps me going when my legs want to quit. But I’m trying! Trying to decide if I want to tackle a half marathon. My college roommate says I do. I’m more skeptical. (2013 update: I’ve now finished 7 half marathons and am currently training for the 2013 NYC Marathon. Guess there’s no turning back now. I’m a runner.)
3) I’m from Texas. Arlington, Texas to be exact. The tourist capital of Texas. I have a innate love of high school football (also a love affair with the tv show Friday Night Lights), the Texas Rangers, Shiner Bock, bbq, Cholua, 110 degree summers, and country music.
4) I was actually born in Omaha, Nebraska. Don’t think this detracts anything about being from Texas in #3 above.
5) I work on Broadway. I wish I could go back in time and let my 13 year-old self read that. She’d be amazed. This career has lead me to tour across the US, the UK, and most recently Tokyo, Japan. It’s also given me the opportunity to stand onstage at Radio City Music Hall, stand backstage at the Tony Awards, and sit in a recording studio watching my company record one of my beloved original cast recordings. It’s also made me withdraw $600 from my personal account so an actor would go onstage during Labor Day weekend when his check didn’t arrive in the mail on time, tell actors it isn’t appropriate to go to the pub next door in their costumes during intermission to have a drink or three, and lead a company of fifty through the largest earthquake ever recorded. So, you learn to take the good with the bad.
6) I love watching tv. TiVo has been the greatest invention in my life. My current favorites are Parks and Recreation (all Rob Lowe needs to do is appear on the screen and I’m dying of laughter), 30 Rock (I want to be Tina Fey. End of story.), The Good Wife (I’d like to thank my former rocker Jimmy James for having a few guest appearances that I tuned in to watch – like the supportive company manager I am – and getting me totally hooked), Friday Night Lights (I’m still counting this as current). Mad Men, Game of Thrones, The New Girl, Happy Endings, The Mindy Project. Ok. I love tv.
7) I live in a commune. Ok, wait, that’s not really true, but I have managed to move into a part of Astoria where most of my good friends are within a few blocks of me. I highly recommend it. It’s like living in a suburb in the middle of the largest city in the United States.
8 ) I am slowly learning how to cook. I’ve gotten to the point where I realize my knives are terrible. Someone told me this means I’m a real cook. So, hooray! I love to host improptu dinner parties on my roof, and believe that most meals are made better with good wine and great friends.
9) Cockroaches terrify me. I usually call my brother-in-law to kill them for me. Maybe a little sexist of me, but I cannot handle how creepy they are.
10) I’m a self-confessed dork. I can’t help it, sometimes dorky things just come out of my mouth and there’s no stopping them.